DeLuca's Owner Back Before Zoning Board
And more to know today, Jan. 31.
1. DeLuca's back before zoning: DeLuca's Market on Charles Street went before the Beacon Hill Civic Association's Zoning and Licensing Committee Tuesday night to ask it not to oppose their request for a variance to use basement space for retail purposes. The committee voted to not grant the request but if certain conditions are met the full board could decide at their Feb. 11 meeting not to oppose the request.
2. Off-leash on the Common: What do you think of the Friends of the Public Garden's plan to create off-leash areas for dogs on the Boston Common? Read more and join the discussion here.
3. New exhibit: On February 5, Street Names: Lost and Found opens at the West End Museum and will run through March 30, 2013 in the Members’ Gallery. The exhibit is free and open to the public. The members-only opening reception takes place from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. on Friday, February 22, and complimentary light refreshments will be served.
4. Wear Red Day: Friday is the 10th annual National Wear Red Day, part of the national “Go Red For Women” campaign and a kick-off to American Heart Month. According to the American Heart Association, heart diseas is the No. 1 killer of women and is more deadly than all forms of cancer combined. The disease causes one in three women’s deaths every year, killing approximately one woman every minute. You can join the fight against heart disease by supporting the “Go Red For Women” cause (learn more at goredforwomenepk.com). On Friday, help build awareness and inspire action by wearing red.
5. Falling mercury: Temperatures will steadily drop throughout today and tonight until we see a return to winter weather Friday. Expect a high of 58 degrees in the morning and a low of 32 degrees just before midnight, with a decent chance of showers in the morning.