How to Protect Your Electronics on The T
Electronic devices - especially iPhones - are the most widely stolen items while using MBTA services.
MBTA Transit Police wrote in a blog post Tuesday that iPhones are the most widely thieved item on the T.
Police also offered tips on how to keep your stuff safe while riding public transportation (from the blog post):
- If possible, avoid using your phone while on the MBTA except in cases of emergency/reporting via SeeSay or 911
- Conceal expensive electronic equipment
- Change the color of the ear buds, would be thieves look for the distinctive white ear plugs of Apple
- Refrain from listening to music or wearing headphones while riding the system
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times especially if you are using your electronic device
- Be aware that most robberies of electronic devices occur near the train doors
- Be alert for staged distractions
Police also pointed to a public service announcement video on how to keep your stuff safe produced by New York's Metro Transit Authority.