Whole Foods to Open South End Store
Five Things You Need to Know Today, July 26
1. Looks like rain: The National Weather Service says today will be mostly cloudy with a high of 80 degrees. There is a chance of storms and maybe even thunderstorms before 4 p.m. Between 4 and 5 p.m., showers are likely. The evening will cool off to 69 degrees and the chance of rain will hang around.
2. Supermarket sweeps into the neighborhood: The developers at the former Boston Herald site have apparently made good on a promise: a major supermarket is coming to the South End. Whole Foods has agreed to place a 50,000 square-foot store in the coming Ink Block development.
The Whole Foods store will include an outdoor sidewalk café with seating on Harrison Avenue, a wine store and a gelato bar. Construction is expected to begin in early 2013 and conclude by 2016, with a projected opening date of sometime in 2014
3. ADA Celebration Day: From 12 to 3 p.m., come celebrate the 22nd Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act with a ribbon cutting ceremony at City Hall Plaza for the new accessible path. There will be food, music, fun and an opportunity to meet your local elected officials.
4. Writing Well For The Web: Writing for the web is fundamentally different than writing for print. The Boston Public Library is offering a class with tips on writing for short and long form online texts for anyone hoping to get their point across. This free class runs from 2:30 to 4 p.m.
5. Franklin Park Drop-In Youth Sports Night: Come on down to 50 Walnut Ave. for free pick-up games from 5 to 8 p.m.. Community basketball, flag football, Frisbee and kickball games are really what summer nights are all about.