Good morning, Back Bay! Here are five things you need to know today, Wednesday, Aug. 14:
1. PUPPETS ON THE COMMON: The Friends of the Public Garden will be hosting a free puppet show with Rosalita's Puppets performing "Rosalita and the Giant Bugs" Wednesday at the Boston Common Parkman Band Stand at 10:30 a.m.
2. IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: Police say a storage locker was vandalized during a garage break-in on Commonwealth Avenue last week. More here.
3. GET THE PATCH NEWSLETTER: Have you signed up for the Back Bay Patch Daily Newsletter yet? Each morning you can get Back Bay Patch news delivered directly to your e-mail inbox. It's totally free, so if you like what you read here, sign up now!
4. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: On this day in 2003, a major outage knocked out power across the eastern United States and parts of Canada. Beginning at 4:10 p.m. ET, 21 power plants shut down in just three minutes. Fifty million people were affected, including residents of New York, Cleveland and Detroit, as well as Toronto and Ottawa, Canada. Although power companies were able to resume some service in as little as two hours, power remained off in other places for more than a day. Information courtesy of History.com.
5. TODAY'S FORECAST: Partly sunny today with a high of 76. Low tonight will be around 53.