Today is Shrove Tuesday, a holiday that's also called "Pancake Tuesday," and marks a worldwide tradition of pancake suppers as a ceremonial cleaning-out of the cupboards for some Christians before Ash Wednesday and Lent begin.
Patch called Back Bay restaurants asking them for pancake recipes, but we heard a similar refrain at each food stop: "The pancake recipe is top secret, sorry," and "we'd love to share it with you, but it's really proprietary information."
With these restaurants guarding their pancake recipes like treasured gold, we're turning to two places to give you all the pancake news you can handle -- the Huffington Post and to our readers. Check out this recipe, then leave a comment with your own pancake recipe or any pancake tips and tricks you have. And whatever you do, don't forget the syrup!
The Huffington Post's "Classic Pancake Recipe:"
Makes: 12 pancakes
Scant cup of plain flour
Scant cup of milk mixed with 3/4 cup water
4 tablespoons of butter
1. Sieve the flour into a bowl
2. Make a well in the centre of the flour with the back of your mixing spoon
3. Break the eggs into the well
4. Add the milk and water mix a little bit at a time, whisking all the while
5. Whisk until the mixture is lump-free and creamy
6. Melt all of butter in a frying pan
7. Pour the excess butter in a bowl leaving enough to generously coat the pan base
8. Ladle in your batter mix and swirl until the base is completely covered
9. Cook for about one minute, flip and cook for a further minute.