1. Newbury stroll this weekend: Don't miss the annual Newbury Street Holiday Stroll, happening this Saturday from noon to 4 p.m. The stroll features great deals and in-store events at all the unique shops along the street.
2. Beacon Hill stroll tonight: Charles Street will be closed to traffic tonight from 6 to 9 p.m. as shops open their door to strollers, offering warm drinks, treats and sometimes sales, and horse-drawn carriages take revelers up and down the street. Kids can visit Santa at the Hill House, 127 Mt. Vernon St., from 3:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. And don't miss the neighborhood holiday tree lighting outside of the Meeting House at 7:15 p.m. To see photos of past Beacon Hill Holiday Strolls, see Patch's 2010 gallery and 2011 gallery.
3. Snow alerts: With possible snow emergencies coming this winter, it's a good time to make sure your updated contact information is registered with Alert Boston, the city's emergency notification system. Sign up to get emergency alerts on your phone, by email or text message.
4. Deck The House: You could win $100,000 for Boston Public Schools, and $500 for your utility bill, just by snapping a photo of your holiday decorations and uploading it here.
5. Cold but bright: The forecast is calling for a bright, cloudless day with highs in the upper 30s. But the slight breeze will make the temperatures feel just above freezing.
Want the day's headlines delivered straight to your inbox? Click here to sign up for our daily newsletter.