1. Copley Place is hosting Globe Santa: Donate to Globe Santa on Fridays through Dec. 21 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Center Court at Copley Place. The organization delivers holiday gifts to children in need throughout the Greater Boston area. Through the thoughtfulness of contributors and volunteers, 100 percent of all donations go toward the purchase and delivery of these gifts. Please note that the Dec. 7 donation period will take place on Dec. 6.
2. Boston Common tree lighting tonight: Boston’s 71st Annual Official Tree Lighting on Boston Common tonight from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. The ceremony will feature Elliot Yamin of “American Idol,” “The Voice” contestant James Massone, Nova Scotia band Squid, the Floorlords, the Boston Arts Academy, an appearance by the Grinch, and much more.
3. Copley Society of Art holding student exhibition: The 24th annual Student Show is a juried exhibition open to all art students in New England, aged 18 and over and enrolled full-time in a studio arts program at the undergraduate or graduate level. The jury will consider work from all genres and medias including photography, painting, video, print-making, and sculpture. Artists may submit up to three pieces. All applications must be received by Tuesday, Jan. 15. The opening reception will be held on Wednesday, Feb. 13. No fee for entries. Download the jury entry form HERE. View guidelines HERE.
4. Wine and Art: Don't just drink wine...learn to taste it. With the help of an expert, savor a new selection from a featured winery each month at the Museum of Fine Arts (465 Huntington Ave.) Join up in Bravo on the last Wednesday of every month at 5:30 p.m. for Winesdays. Cost is $25 per person and ncludes hors d'oeuvres and tasting of featured wines. See here for more information.
5. Clear with frigid wind: It should be a bright and sunny, but brisk day when wind chill is factored in. Expect clear skies, no precipitation and a high of around 40. But beware, the wind will make your morning commute feel as cold as 20 degrees.