1. Back Bay Hotel sale: Loews Hotels & Resorts is buying the Back Bay Hotel in Boston for an undisclosed amount, according to the Boston Globe. The hotel, at Berkeley and Stuart streets, was the Boston Police Department Headquarters from the 1920s to the late 1990s.
2. Apply now: Today is the last day to submit an application to become a member of Boston Mayor Thomas Menino’s ONEin3 Council. The council is open to civic-minded individuals ages 20-34 who want to collaborate on projects designed to engage Boston’s young adult population.
3. Winterfest at Fenway: Kids can test their video game skills against Red Sox players during“Red Sox Kid Nation Winterfest” on Saturday, Jan. 26 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Fenway Park. Fenway batting cages will be available for use, Wally the Green Monster will greet visitors and there will be open tryouts to be the new public address announcer or National Anthem performer at Fenway Park. Red Sox tickets for 2013 games at Fenway Park go on sale Saturday at 10 a.m. Buy them at the park box office, at redsox.com or by calling 888-REDSOX6.
4. Wear Red Day: Feb. 1 is the 10th annual National Wear Red Day, part of the national “Go Red For Women” campaign and a kick-off to American Heart Month. According to the American Heart Association, heart diseas is the No. 1 killer of women and is more deadly than all forms of cancer combined. The disease causes one in three women’s deaths every year, killing approximately one woman every minute. You can join the fight against heart disease by supporting the “Go Red For Women” cause (learn more at goredforwomenepk.com). On Feb. 1, help build awareness and inspire action by wearing red.
5. Slightly warmer: Today marks the beginning of a warming trend that will climb to a relatively balmy 50 degrees by the middle of next week. But for today, expect a high of 25 degrees with light winds under mostly cloudy skies.