The following was posted on BPDnews.com:
The Summer of Opportunity (SOO) employment program for Boston youth is back for its 20th year! This great program is sponsored by the City of Boston, the Boston Police Department, John Hancock Financial Services, and the Boston Police Foundation.
SOO will last from July 1, 2013 to August 9, 2013, taking place on Mondays through Fridays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Over these six weeks, young people from the ages of 15 to 17 will learn valuable leadership and life skills in a structured environment while earning a weekly stipend!
Additionally, participants who complete the summer program may be recommended for future opportunities during the school year! These include attendance to monthly SOO meetings and an interview for a SOO internship.
Interested? Please save, print, and fill out the application, available for download by clicking here: 2013SOOapplication. To be reviewed, submissions require all of the following:
1. Completed application (no blanks!).
2. Letter of recommendation from the individual referring the applicant.
3. Copy of their most recent academic transcript.
4. An updated health/medical report from 2012-2013.
5. Personal statement responses.
6. Signed CORI Check Consent form and Authorization for Release of Information form.
Please deliver these materials via mail or in-person by March 1, 2013 at 5PM. Applications received after the deadline will be placed on a waiting list. Please send to:
Summer of Opportunity Boston Police Headquarters c/o OPC One Schroeder Plaza Boston, MA 02120
We look forward to seeing you this summer!