WOBURN PATCH STORM CENTRAL UPDATES, CLOSINGS & MORE:
Tuesday, Oct. 30—
- Mayor Scott Galvin checked in with Woburn Patch this morning. Find out what he has to say about the damage and how the city is handling the post-hurricane damage!
- The Hurld School is closed today due to no electricity.
- All other public schools are on a two-hour delay.
- City Hall is open.
- Trash pickup will go on as scheduled.
Monday, Oct. 29—
- Mayor Scott Galvin reports that about two dozen trees have been felled by Hurricane Sandy in Woburn. NStar is on scene and addressing the downed wires and outages, said the mayor.
- The city will address the situation again at 6 a.m. Tuesday.
- NStar is reporting 16 percent of its Woburn customers (3,268 homes) are without power.
- Follow our Storify thread above for updates on outages and other emergencies.
- There will be no morning swim lessons or Lil Kids programs on Tuesday at the Boys & Girls Club.
- Woburn public schools will have a two-hour delay on Tuesday.
- Our Storify continues to be updated above with emergencies reported in Woburn.
- Woburn Public Schools have NOT been cancelled as of 7:30 p.m.
- NStar reports that 11 percent of Woburn customers (2173 homes) are without power. That number is down from earlier, which had reached 18 percent of residences without power.
- Firefighters from Woburn, Malden, Stoneham, Wilmington, Winchester and Burlington continue to respond to several calls of alarms, fires, arcing wires.
- Woburn Police are responding to reports of downed trees and power lines.
- NStar reports that 15 percent of its Woburn customers (2,998 homes) are without power.
- Firefighters responding to Avis for a report of a fire on the roof.
- Several trees down, wires down. Check our Storify above for full reports!
- Stay informed on local happenings, we are live-tweeting 911 calls and featuring them in this post. Scroll through them above!
- Keep up with what's going on state-wide with this live blog.
- NStar reports 113 customers are without power in Woburn.
- NStar reporting that 59 Woburn customers are without power.
- Keep scrolling through our Storify (see above) as residents update us on their situations in Woburn!
- Mayor Scott Galvin reports that trash pick-up will go on as scheduled on Tuesday. Thanks, Mayor Galvin!
- The city of Woburn has closed City Hall, as of 1:30 p.m. Monday.
- NStar is reporting 8 customers are without power in Woburn.
- Woburn Police report a limb down on Bedford Road.
- The Peterson School will not have evening classes on Monday.
- The City Council subcommittee meeting is cancelled for Monday night. School Committee and its subcommittees meetings are also cancelled.
- Our Storify thread continues to be updated above.
- The North Suburban YMCA on Lexington Street is closing at 1 p.m. Monday.
- Share your Hurricane Sandy photos here.
- City Hall will be open Monday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- The MBTA will close all services at 2 p.m. today, including the Anderson Regional Transportation Center in Woburn.
- The Woburn Senior Center is closed.
- Trash pick-up will continue Monday. No update available for Tuesday pick-up as of this morning.
- DPW requests residents clear storm drains, if possible and safe to do so.
- Woburn Patch readers are reporting that trash IS being picked up on Monday.
- The city is ready to open an emergency shelter if necessary. The city's emergency shelter is at Woburn Memorial High School. If that changes, we will notify you here in the Info Center.
- The storm is expected to worsen in our area after 2 p.m.
- Scroll down for closings already announced.
- Not sure how long your food will last after a power outage? The answer is here.
Sunday, Oct. 28—
- Woburn Public Schools are closed Monday.
- The Woburn Public Library will be closed on Monday.
- The Flu Clinic scheduled for Monday is postponed. (Date TBA)
- The Boys & Girls Club of Woburn is closed on Monday.
- The After School Club is closed on Monday.
- Today's Fitness will have no group classes Monday.
- The Little Gym of Woburn is closed Monday.
- Greendale Physical Therapy is closed Monday.
- Supt. Mark Donovan just announced that public schools will be closed on Monday.
- Patch is still awaiting word on whether Woburn Public Schools will be open on Monday. Stay with Woburn Patch for more information.
- The Halloween parade went off without a hitch!
Scroll down for important phone numbers, websites and more. Stay with Woburn Patch as we keep you updated throughout the storm.For instant updates on weather and storm news (and more!), follow Woburn Patch on Facebook and Twitter, or sign-up for our e-mail newsletter.
See a tree down in your neighborhood? Notice a road is flooded? Just saw a store clerk upload a pallet of fresh batteries? Please use this story on Woburn Patch to help out your neighbors as we brave the storm together.Woburn Patch's extensive Hurricane Sandy coverage is here.
As we hunker down to ride out Hurricane Sandy, we want to make sure that Woburn stays connected. For live updates during the storm, be sure to download our App for your smartphone or tablet and 'like' Woburn Patch on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
As you send us messages through social media, we’ll make sure the information is added here to this story in the comments and on the map found above. If you notice wires down or a tree across the road, please alert authorities and then let us know so we can spread the word quickly. You can comment right on this story to make sure readers know what’s going on in your neighborhood.
The effects of last year's Irene are hard for us to forget and at times, water and batteries were scarce about town. You can share info about where to find these items and who has gotten the latest delivery by commenting below.
Woburn Patch is all about connecting neighbors and helping neighbors so we hope you’ll find this information hub helpful as we brave the storm together. Stay safe Woburn!
IMPORTANT NUMBERS & WEBSITES:
- In an emergency, dial 911
- Police Department: 781-933-1212
- Fire Department: 781-932-4560
- DPW: 781-897-5990
- National Grid power outages: 800-465-1212
- National Grid gas emergencies: 800-233-5325
- NStar power outages: 800-592-2000 or the Report an Outage form.
- Comcast: 1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278)
- Verizon: 1-800-VERIZON (1-800-837-4966)
- RCN: 1-866-TECH-RCN (1-866-832-4726)
- MBTA Anderson/Woburn station: Service updates
List of cab companies:
- Checker Cab of Woburn: 781-937-6000
- Woburn Cab: 781-933-5000
List of tow companies:
- Tom's Auto Body: 781-935-7212
- Royal Towing: 781-939-5747
- Murray's Towing: 781-938-1439