In 2003, owner Marty Checkoway (who had worked for years as a department store buyer) founded his own business by "setting out on his own." That business has become the toast of Boston, a collection of rare treasures and unexpected surprises. Firefly (located on Newbury Street, near Maya and the Fairy Store) has garnered high praise for such items as 2,000-year-old "Roman glass" (recovered from ruins in modern-day Israel and incorporated into jewelry) selling for as little as $50, stained glass plates lovingly crafted by local artists, and eyeglass-holders shaped like noses. The breadth and beauty of Firefly's many offerings are exceeded only by the charm of its owner. "People tell their friends," he explains, "and folks come back again and again—even tourists—whenever they're in Boston."
- Hours: Mon, Sat, 10am - 6pm; Tue - Fri, 10am - 6:30pm; Sun, 11am - 6pm
- Handicap Accessible: No
- Founding Date: December 2003
- Payments accepted: American Express, Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Personal Check, Visa
- Products: Handmade gifts by international and local artisans, greeting cards, frames, glasses-holders, jewelry, vases, prints, handbags, brooches, shot-glasses, flasks, bottle-stoppers, glass plates
- Services: Gift certificates, Gift wrapping, Shipping
- Return policy: Return within 14 days, in original condition and with receipt, for a refund; gifts (with gift-card receipt) can be returned for store credit only.
- ATM: No
- Public restrooms: No
- Parking: On-street: metered
- Private events: No
- What makes this community special?: "Newbury Street. It's an eclectic mix of shops—you find things here you'd never find in a shopping mall."
- Original design / hand-made?: Yes
- Jewelry & watch brands: Jonathon Florian, Tiger Mountain, Shari Dixon, Morning Flower, and other independent, low-exposure designers and brands.
- Vintage: No
- What are most popular gifts for both women and men?: "In general our wares appeal more to women than to men, and the 'Roman glass' is our most popular item. Our handcrafted glass vases are also extremely popular gifts."