"Hakka" cuisine was invented in the 1800s by Chinese immigrants in colonial India and has long been popular in India, and more recently it has been well-recieved in New York and New Jersey. Now, thanks to Mumbai Chopstix, it is Boston's turn to get acquainted with the unexpected and amazing flavors of "Indo-Chinese" fare.
The restaurant itself is awe-inspiring –– it is comprised of three floors and a patio (with a total capacity of 100 patrons). Its decor is all original South Asian and oriental art, and the entire building is meticulously designed according to the principles of Feng Shui. A spirit of culinary adventerousness surrounds the entire enterprise; for example, Mumbai Chopstix has a limited time "Halloween menu" containing a number of pumpkin-based dishes.
Best of all, customers who come between 7:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday can enjoy live sitar music while they eat. "People are surprised at how much they like Indo-Chinese food," one employee says. "It's all about the spices and herbs we use. Once they try the food, they come back with friends!"
- Fax: 617-927-6666
- Hours: Daily, 11:30am - 11pm
- Handicap Accessible: No
- Founding Date: Spring 2010
- Products: "Indo-Chinese" cuisine, curries, duck dishes, seafood dishes, chicken dishes, tum yum, soups, momohs, tandoori dishes, lamb, beef, rice and noodles, desserts (date pancakes, oriental rice pudding, apple or banana toffee), experimental dishes,
- Food & dining options: Vegetarian
- General services: Delivery, Eat-in, Take-out
- Menu link: mumbaichopstix.com
- Parking: On-street: metered
- Private events: Yes
- Cuisine: Asian, Chinese, Indian, International
- Signature dishes: Peking duck samosas, crispy "bhindi," steamed lobster with hot garlic or curry leaf pepper sauce, crispy fried duck, gohbi manchurian, mango chili chicken.
- Price level: $$
- Reservations: Accepted
- Features: Dinner, Group-friendly, Live Entertainment, Lunch, Outdoor seating
- Atmosphere: Fun, Romantic
- Dress code: None.