Monday, July 30, 2012
All fans in the parking garage are now in working order after the Boston Fire Department threatened to shut down the hotel if they weren't fixed by the end of the day.
The fans have been fixed. Not all of them came on this morning when a fire in the Westin Hotel Copley Place parking garage caused heavy smoke. The Boston Fire Department gave the hotel until the end of the day to get them back in working order. "If they don't get the deficiencies in the fire system fixed, we will consider shutting the hotel down for the night," Boston Fire Deputy Chief Steve Dunbar said to WCVB. The Westin General Manager Michael Jorgensen said that statement was a little strong, and that Boston Fire simply asked them to call and confirm once the repairs were complete. An electrician got to work immediately, he said. "The fire department doesn't need to come back," Jorgensen said. The fire was sparked by an acetelyne tank…
Firefighters have the flames under control but are working to air out the garage. No evacuations were necessary.
Firefighters had a difficult time putting out a fire sparked by an acetelyne tank on the first floor of the garage at the Westin Hotel Copley Place at 10:11 a.m. The fire was at the control knob of a three foot high tank strapped to a two-wheeler cart. Once the flames were out, the tank continued to bleed off acetelyne. Firefighters kept a steady stream of water on it to keep it cool, and worked with hotel building maintenance crews to bring in exhaust fans to clear the trapped smoke. There were no injuries, and the building did not have to be evacuated. Firefighters cleared the scene around 11 a.m. WCVB reports that the Westin may be shut down the hotel doesn't fix the exhaust fans and a stand pipe by the end of the day.
Thursday, May 24, 2012
Smoke was pouring from the 5-story brownstone around 9:30 a.m.
A one-alarm fire that broke out around 9:30 a.m. caused about $100,000 worth of damage at 321 Commonwealth Ave. Smoke was showing from the five-story brick brownstone, and the fire was confined to one apartment on the second floor, the Boston Fire Department tweeted. Firefighters determined it was caused by an electrical short circuit in the kitchen. The first floor apartment had about a 3x8 foot peice of ceiling collapse from water damage on the second floor (and the apartements have 12 foot high ceilings.) There was also significant smoke damage throughout the building.
Saturday, March 24, 2012
2,500 pounds of meat that was no longer safe for human consumption was given to the animals at the Southwick Zoo.
Monday, March 19, 2012
NSTAR is saying they won't compensate businesses for revenue lost during the blackout, but restaurateurs and Mayor Menino think NSTAR should. Where do you stand?
“If it’s a normal situation, we do not typically, when there is an outage, provide for losses," NSTAR official Thomas May told the Boston Globe. If the Back Bay fire and blackout seemed abnormal to you, NSTAR spokeswoman Caroline Pretyman clarified with the Globe that, "A normal outage includes those caused by mechanical failure, such as this week’s disruption, and even severe weather such as snowstorms and hurricanes." To Mayor Menino and others, however, this wasn't just business-as-usual. Menino "has demanded that the utility reimburse restaurants for spoiled food, pay restaurant workers for lost wages, and cover more than $85,000 in overtime costs for police and other city employees." Irakli Gogitidze, manager of Bottega …
Friday, March 16, 2012
The meter maids were still at work during the blackout, and not everyone is pleased with their efforts.
Back Bay buildings may be dependent on NSTAR for their power, but the parking meters on the sidewalks outside have a different electricity source: the sun. This means that the meters were running while buildings were not, and, according to an article in the Herald, those who made this discovery with a ticket on their windshield are not pleased. Electrician Omar Lawrence told the Herald, "I couldn’t even work today because my store is closed. I can’t make money but the city still wants to take my money. You’re damned if you do, damned if you don’t. It’s so time consuming, you lose more money going in trying to fight the ticket. Now you’ll lose another day of pay." Also in that article, "Mayor Thomas M. Menino said the city won’t be …
Thursday, March 15, 2012
NStar says no investigation could have predicted the fire.
The 'catastrophic failure' of an underground electrical cable connected to a transformer at NStar's Scotia Street substation sparked the four-alarm fire Tuesday night, NStar officials said Thursday afternoon. Soot buildup in the backout transformer then caused the major blackout that cut off power to 21,000 customers across the Back Bay and surrounding area. The power was restored Thursday afternoon. NStar CEO Thomas May said in his 35 years at the job, he's never seen anything like it. The electric company has "the best engineers in America who are routinely inspecting this every month," and has invested $9 million over the past five years into the substation, he said. Mayor Thomas Menino expressed his frustration at a press conference …
NStar is investigating whether this is related to the electrical repairs.
Three manhole fires have closed down Huntington Ave. between West Newton and Dartmouth Streets. Firefighters responded at 3:38 p.m., and they were put out by 4:35 p.m. No injuries have been reported. The news comes just as NStar annoucned power is back on in the Back Bay, except for at the Pru. NStar is on the scene, investigating whether this is related to the electrical repairs.
Menino also plans to establish a panel of energy experts to investigate cause of fire.
Mayor Thomas Menino said in a press conference today he's "frustrated" by NStar's lag-time to restore power, and hopes the electric company will reimburse $85,000 in city overtime costs, and losses incurred by small businesses. "I want the shareholders to pay for the costs of this accident," Menino said. "Not the ratepayers." He also plans to establish a panel of energy experts that will review NStar generators, and said the city is working with the state Department of Public Utilities to investigate the cause of Tuesday's transformer fire. The four-alarm fire at 6:30 p.m. poured a blanket of thick black smoke over the neighborhood, and cut power to about 21,000 customers in the surrounding area. NStar kept extending deadlines as to when…
When the going gets rough, sometimes all you can do is laugh it off.
"The Dose" says he "Shouldn't have eaten that second serving of Indian food. #BackBayFire #RingOf." "GransMaster" says "No shower for two days due to #Backbayfire 'let's get together... Oh yeah.'" "robinec" says "last night i couldn't stop singing 'would you light my candle' and 'we didn't start the fire' #backbayfire #bostonblackout #inappropriate." These three weren't the only ones cracking wise about the latest news. Twitter searches using the hashtags #backbayfire and #bostonblackout revealed plenty of witticisms about the fire, along with some double entendres related to the word "transformer." To be clearer, transformers aren't just electrical hubs that power our city dutifully until they occasionally combust, they're also fictional…